Saturday, November 13, 2010

Australian Poetry Slam ACT Final

Last night, Smith's Alternative Bookshop hosted the ACT Final for the Australian Poetry Slam. It was a great night with some fantastic performances.

It was disappointing, though, that all of the finalists were blokes. The best we could muster was a guy who performs under a girl's name as the feature poet.

Here is an extended version of the poem I performed about the hidden side of Canberra:



I came second to Raphael, who performed a great poem with a new take on Ned Kelly. This means I get to go to the national final at the Sydney Theatre Company on 5 December. We are, appropriately I believe, squeezed in between performances of Chekov's Uncle Vanya, featuring John Bell and Cate Blanchett. I am looking forward to meeting Cate at the poetry slam.

No comments:

Post a Comment