Saturday, November 6, 2010

Situation Normal X

I went to the Situation Normal night at Smith's Alternative Bookshop for the first time last night. It was a lot of fun - uncontrolled, random and chaotic. The concept is more open and free than the excellent slam poetry nights run by Bad!Slam!No!Biscuit! and Traverse Poetry.

The only real rule appears to be there are no rules. The best features of this open approach are a lack of competition (an essential part of slamming) and creativity. Music, props, teamwork, audience participation, connections with the spirit world - anything goes.

It has inspired me to be more creative and look at incorporating music and other media in my work.

Here is the poem I did as my second piece:



Apologies - it is a standard, 3 minute slam poet. I hope to get more creative in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment