Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Most Beautiful Music Video

I came across NME's list of the 100 Greatest Music Videos on Stereogum the other day. Number 1 was Johnny's Cash's version of Hurt, a moving but simple video directed by Mark Romanek. Cash's song, like Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, is one of the few examples of a cover being more powerful than the original.

Anyway, this post is not about that video. It is about Sigur Rós's video for Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása. This is the most beautiful thing I have seen in a long time.

It made me realise how much songs and the music videos that accompany them are like the best poems. I want to write poems like this music video. It told a simple story that had me captured. It made me want to cry, first sad tears, then happy tears, then sad tears again. It had a change of direction that made me laugh out loud.

Anyway, enjoy:

1 comment:

  1. I love it...........but it also made me feel terribly sad and helpless.

    ReplyDelete