Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Speakeasy at Will's Pub Orlando

Later this week, I will be back in Orlando for work. While I am there I am going to perform something at Speakeasy at Will's Pub, run by talented writer and performer Tod Caviness.

Speakeasy is an open mike that runs monthly on a loose theme. This month, it is the Karaoke Edition. The idea is to write a poem or story based on a song.

As Tod says:
Pick a song. Write a little something about what it means to you, where you were when you first heard it. Re-arrange/riff on/fuck up the lyrics.
So, what song should I choose? I thought first of all the songs that have inspired me lately. There is This is Why we Fight by The Decemberists, Bloodbuzz Ohio by The National, 7 Days Later by The Ellis Collective, anything by Jonsi or Sigur Ros, even Yonkers by Tyler the Creator. But these songs inspire me because they are close to perfection. I am not sure I can add words to what these songs do (and I don't speak Icelandic).

No, I think I need to chose a song that, well, leaves some space to work within. Something like Bon Jovi's Dead or Alive or LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem. That gives me something to work with.

Alternatively, I can take Tod's advice and write about where I was when I first heard a certain song. That would work. I could explain why the first Violent Femmes album affects me everytime I hear it. Or why the Nine Inch Nails' Head Like a Hole reminds me of Princess Diana's death.

Yes, that's it! Thank you, blog. I think I have my theme.
Bow down before the one you serve 
You're going to get what you deserve
Now, to write...

No comments:

Post a Comment