Monday, September 3, 2012

National Poetry Week 1

Ok, it's National Poetry Week. To celebrate, I am going to attempt to blog everyday this week. I will post a poet to read or listen to, a blog to link to and a writing exercise (or two) to write to.

A poet to listen to

Performing in Wollongong the other week, I was introduced (figuratively) to Alan Wearne. Several of the poets and people in the audience were students from the University of Wollongong, where Alan teaches poetry.

Ashamedly, I had not heard of Alan Wearne before that night. So I did some googling. Here is Alan's writings online.

Here is Alan performing as part of the Red Room Company's The Wordshed collection of poetry. His interpretation of popular Australian songs is worth listening to.


A blog to link to

This is, I believe, one of the best poetry blogs in Australia: Another Lost Shark, the blog of Graham Nunn. Brisbane has a great poetry and performance scene, and Graham is at the centre of it. A co-founder of SpeedPoets, former Artistic Director of the Queensland Poetry Festival and Haiku master, Graham regularly posts his poetry and links to events and other poets. The blog is worth checking out just for its comprehensive list of other related blogs.

An exercise to write to

Rachel McGibbens is a fantastic American spoken word artist with an amazing website and regular blog. One of her particular compulsions seems to be to collect writing exercises. She is up to #87 in her blog. I like this one:


Once you have done that, stroll around her blog and check out the other exercises.

1 comment:

  1. You will have to tell me all about Brisbane's great poetry scene before I move there. Thanks for posting CJ.

    ReplyDelete