Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Australian National Poetry Slam Finals

Last Saturday night was amazing. I was not expecting the response I received from the audience and I am truly honoured to have been picked out of that group of poets. Slam can be a fickle friend and it seems that last weekend it was my turn.

I was nervous as usual before we entered the theatre and sat down, but I quickly decided I was going to have fun. I had two main poems prepared - one fun, one serious - and I chose the fun one to start with. Once that was clear in my mind, I relaxed a little and looked forward to hearing the other poets. I still edged forward in my seat each time a name was pulled out of the hat (the worst feeling in any slam, in my opinion - waiting), but I was clear minded enough to take in everyone else's work. This is not always the case.

And the standard of poetry was very high and very even. I certainly did not get the feeling that I was going to win.

After my first poem got such a good reception I decided to drop the serious love poem and go to my back-up poem. This also got a great reception. You can see it here:




I am glad I didn't do the serious poem.

1 comment:

  1. I know I've said this before, but congratulations CJ. You've made Canberra proud. We all think you are a very deserving winner.

    ReplyDelete