Monday, April 29, 2013

Laziest poetry performance ever

Here is a performance I did recently at a new variety night in my hometown of Canberra. I cannot thank enough the young woman who accepted my invitation to the stage. She made the whole thing work.





The Silent Poem, or
I love you more than anything, but not enough to hurt you

I am sorry. 

I know when we made love this morning, 

You were thinking of someone else. 



Our hands woke before the birds; 

Sought warmth in each other’s feathered folds; 

Found holds they have always known; 

Fingers tracing familiar lines, 

Homing back with scribbled notes. 



But I know when we made love this morning, 

You were thinking of someone else. 



Morning light snuck peeks past curtains, 

Smoothed creases across uncovered curves; 

The golden flush of each day’s nearing, 

Fresh as that first morning’s glow, 

Reflected in nostalgic lips 



With memories longer than our minds’, 

As we washed over each other’s body, 



Anointing foreheads with kisses 



And were born again 



In grasping hands and arched backs. 



But I know while we made love this morning, 

You were thinking of someone else. 



We kissed with eyes closed: 

Mine shut on the present tense, 

Yours clenched around a memory. 



The worst thing I have ever done 



Is let you make love to the person I was 



Instead of leaving the person 



I’ve become.

1 comment: