Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sydney Writers' Festival

Thanks to Word Travels, one of the rewards for winning the Australian Poetry Slam is the opportunity to take part in the Sydney Writers' Festival. Later this week, I will participate in several events during the festival and perform alongside Anis Mojgani from the US and Kate Tempest from the UK.

I have been a fan of Anis Mojgani since I started performing poetry and searching for inspiration on YouTube. I have only just recently discovered Kate Tempest, through the online recommendation of Scroobius Pip, no less.

For my major event, the Festival Club on Friday 24 May, we will be joined onstage by Eleanor Jackson from Brisbane. This is a very diverse lineup of performance poets, which should give a great demonstration of the breadth of spoken word.

These are the Sydney Writers' events I am participating in:

Mouth to Mic - Friday 24 May 4 pm

Miles Merrill from Word Travels will interview Anis, Kate and myself after we each have given a short demonstration of our work to the audience. I dread these sorts of things - I don't particularly like explaining my work and always feel somewhere between pretentious and superficial when providing answers - but I am really looking forward to hearing Anis and Kate talk.

More details can be found here.

Spoken Four as part of the Festival Club - Friday 24 May 7 pm

This is my main event of the festival. Anis, Kate, Eleanor and I will each perform a set within a 90 min poetry feature at the Festival Club. This will be followed by The Chaser and HEDTalks with Max Lavergne, Eddie Sharp and Andrew Denton. My favourite bit: I am up first so I can get my rubbish over with before sitting back and enjoying the rest of this entertaining night.

Details on this event are here.

Troubadours and Minstrels -  Sunday 26 May 12 pm

This creative event will see musicians lead small groups to poets hidden in alcoves through the Rocks. After a short performance, the groups then rotate to another poet. The combination of music, poetry and the architecture and history of Sydney is unique.

I believe this event is already booked out, but details are here.

Q-Poetics - throughout the festival

Curated by Sydney poet and performance artist Skye Loneragan, Q-Poetics will see poets delivering 'literary relief' to festival-goers waiting in queues. I am one of the poets who will be entertaining those waiting and those travelling between venues.

Next post I will list some of the poetry events for the Sydney Writers' Festival which I am not part of, but which I highly recommend nonetheless.




1 comment:

  1. It's going to be a helluva a ride, opening for Anis and Kate, boo-ya. Looking forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete