Wednesday, October 8, 2014

CAPO Awards 2014

After my performance at the opening of the Wordsmith exhibition at M16 Art space, I was encouraged to apply for a CAPO award.

Paul McDermott, CAPO Patron
CAPO, the Capital Arts Patrons' Organisation, is a volunteer, non-profit group that supports artists in the Canberra region, primarily through financial awards. On Saturday 4 October, at the Canberra Museum and Gallery, CAPO held its 31st art auction to raise funds for its awards, promote local artists and recognise sponsors.

It was a great night. I have only just been introduced to the fine arts world of Canberra and I enjoyed catching up with some old friends and making some new ones. Over 100 pieces were exhibited and up for auction, demonstrating the depth and diversity of capital art.

I was very fortunate to be selected for the Sage Legal Services Award. I will use the award to introduce recorded and live looped sounds into my performances. The award gives me funding to buy the necessary recording,  production and performance equipment to do this.

Shameless Bearded CAPO Selfie

I am going to gradually incorporate this technology into my work in 2015, adding echoed voices and messages to my performances. I have a lot to learn, but I am hoping to produce layered, more complex pieces using these techniques.

Canberra has a vibrant and diverse arts community and I am very fortunate to be a part of it. I look forward to many more collaborations with a range of local artists and to be able to contribute to arts in the capital region.

No comments:

Post a Comment