Sunday, November 1, 2015

Post-War: Thousand Mile Stare

So, it's been a long time since I blogged, but this year has been a very busy one. One project I am very excited about, and fortunate to be a part of, is Katy Mutton's Post-War Project. I have been a fan of Katy's work for a long time. Her combination of materials, ink, silhouettes and cut-aways carries so many layers. I encourage you to visit her site and look at some of her work.

For the Post-War Project, Katy is researching the Australian Soldier Settlement Scheme post-First World War and using this research to inspire new works. The year-long project will culminate in an exhibition in Mildura in 2016. Mildura has a strong tie to the Soldier Settlement Scheme through the close-by Red Cliffs district.

Performing at Post-War Project: The Thousand Mile Stand, ANCA Gallery April 2015
Katy has invited me to tag along with her, sharing her research to inspire me to write. I performed as part of Katy's exhibition at ANCA Gallery in April/May, titled Post-War Project: The Thousand Mile Stare. My poem, titled 'Keeping Our Heads Down', can be found here.

Post-War Project: The Thousand Mile Stare, ANCA Gallery April/May 2015

It was fascinating to discover that a lot of the objects I included and themes I developed in my poem also appeared in Katy's works: spades, rifles, watercourses, metal, the colour of the soil, separation and loss.

I am looking forward to continuing to work on this project and I hope to be able to contribute to Katy's exhibition in 2016.

Seriously, though, you should check out Katy Mutton's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment