Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Wordsmith

For the second year in a row, I was very grateful to be asked to take part in Wordsmith,  an exhibition at M16 Artspace of works of art in response to written pieces. Each of the works created for the August 2015 exhibition were shown alongside the writing that inspired them.

I contributed two poems: Ian Robertson responded to "On Trying Hard Not To Write About The Sea, Which Is Ever Present", and Bernie Slater worked with this poem:

Bitumen Stitches


objects appear clearest as they
pass. a poem is a snapshot, not a
transit. any motion is the
hand of the photographer

shaking. the veiled rosy
swollen moon sits on the
end of the road. the fore-
head of the car is tucked
between the headlights’
outstretched arms. my heart

out the windscreen, pulling me
forward, my stomach on its
chain bumping on the road
behind, my torso abandoned empty. I’m
climbing the white line

beside me. I’ve been creating roadside
memorials to moments. I didn’t
predict the energy it takes to
tend the flowers. I should, instead,
have written goodbye in chalk on the tar.

Bernie Slater works in multiple media, often defacing found objects to create political art and social commentary. His response to "Bitumen Stitches" involved creating three-dimensional paper cars which he then crushed and distorted.

Ian Robertson is a landscape artist, who took the sense of disjunction and separateness from "On Trying Hard Not To Write About The Sea" and created two striking sea-side paintings. You do not see the face of anyone in either painting; they are either turned away or looking out into the distant or horizon or the face of a deep-green wave.

Stephen R Randall, someone I'm yet to meet, has blogged a few words and pictures of writings and artworks, including my two poems and the artist's responses, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment